According to the Brundtland Report, 1987, sustainable development is defined as the kind of development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
- Advice on Sustainable Financial Instruments: We advise public and private sectors on new instruments that are emerging to finance the transition to a lower carbon and sustainable economy.
- Situational Diagnosis and Risk Analysis: a situational diagnosis is used to analyze alternatives and, mostly, to assess their consequences. To ignore the situation of our company or organization in issues related to climate change and sustainability can put us in a vulnerable position. An adequate assessment of the risks and contingencies involved is vital, and all will depend on the particular nature of each company or organization.
- Water footprint: The water footprint is defined as a “metric that quantifies the potential environmental impact related to water”, according to the international standard ISO 14046:2014, or also as the total volume of freshwater used to produce the goods and services produced by the business or consumed by the individual or community. Water used is measured in terms of water volumes consumed, evaporated or polluted per unit of time by the individual or community, or per unit of mass by companies. A water footprint can be calculated for any well-defined group of consumers (for example, an individual, family, village, city, province, state or nation) or producers (for example, a public organization, private enterprise or economic sector.
- GRI (Global Reporting Initiative): it is the best-known standard to report sustainability related issues of corporations and organizations. This standard is compatible with the company financial reports.
- Life Cycle Assessment (product-process or service) etc.: A LCA (according to its English acronym) is a technique based on the evaluation of the potential environmental impact associated to a product, process or service through the compilation of relevant inventories of energy and materials used, evaluating their environmental impact. Having this information, it is easier to make well-informed decisions in relation to the production, product or service to be generated.
- Energy and Resource Efficiency: At Genesis we understand that the first step that companies take with regard to sustainability is Energy and Resource Efficiency aligned to cost reduction, which is always required. But many times such analysis is not carried out due not only to lack of financial resources for its future implementation, but also to time allocation of site employees.
According to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), climate change is defined as a change in climate which is attributed directly or indirectly to human activity that alters the composition of the atmosphere globally and which is in addition to natural climate variability observed over comparable time periods.
- Risk and vulnerability analysis of the company/organization in relation to climate change: this analysis is crucial to identify the risks and contingencies the organization is exposed to. Today only a few are aware of their exposure to climate change.
- Emissions Inventories – Carbon footprint: Carbon footprint is known as “the total sets of greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) caused directly or indirectly by an individual, organization, event or product”. Such environmental impact is measured by carrying out an inventory of GHG emissions according to the type of footprint, following renowned international standards such as ISO 14064, PAS 2050 o GHG Protocol, among others. The carbon footprint is measured in terms of the amount of carbon dioxide equivalents. Once the size of the footprint is known, it is possible to devise a strategy to reduce/compensate emissions by means of different public or private programs.
- Technical and commercial feasibility study of emission reduction projects: CDM, Volunteer markets, etc. Emission reduction projects need a prior technical and commercial analysis to assess their feasibility, time allocation, proper certification standard, markets in which to operate, etc.
- Elaboration of documentation for emission reduction projects: emission reduction projects are difficult to implement. At Genesis we are in charge of elaborating the PDD (Project Design Document).
- Professional assistance with project validation and registration: in addition to elaborating the necessary documentation for the development of an emission reduction project, we offer professional assistance with project validation and registration.
- Registry monitoring and verification: once the emission reduction project has been registered, monitoring and verification is necessary in order to obtain carbon credits. Genesis provides support and assistance in these two processes.
- Reports on International Negotiations on Climate Change: our experts participate in international negotiations on climate change and write periodic reports on the “status quo” of such negotiations. It is important to realize that today these negotiations lead the way on issues concerning the global environmental agenda and, at GENESIS, we consider that compliance is crucial for the strategic management of any corporation/institution.
- Marketing and Communication Advisory and Development of emission reduction projects: This is a very important issue in any corporate strategy of climate change. Marketing strategies carried out without the necessary know-how in this matter can be mistaken. More so, a communication strategy. Our experience shows that many times, due to lack of knowledge, vocabulary is mistakenly used, or inaccurate information is simply given, or sensitive information is provided to the public. In any case, lack of knowledge on the subject becomes evident.
- Alignment of projects to the NDC (Determined National Contributions): Lately the multilateral and bilateral financial institutions require their alignment to the NDC as a condition to finance a climate change project. In Genesis we know these processes and we can help you in these matters.
SUSTAINABILITY AND CLIMATE CHANGE PROJECT DEVELOPMENT:
At GENESIS we not only develop projects but we are also highly qualified to carry them out and provide follow-up
- Project due diligence: At GENESIS we understand that a viability research (at the commercial, social and environmental level) is necessary before signing any contract and carrying out the project.
- Project development: At GENESIS we have broad experience in the development of this kind of projects and their implementation, which generally involve the participation of several actors and concerned parties. We strongly believe that these projects should not necessarily be intensive in economic resources; our experience shows that most of the time the resources involved in project implementation are not necessarily economic.
- Project Follow-up: At GENESIS we not only develop projects but we are also highly qualified to carry them out and provide follow-up.
ADVICE ON SUSTAINABILITY STRATEGIES:
The definition of a clear strategy on these issues is essential to establish the position of the company / individual and to be able to communicate it. When defining Sustainability and Climate Change strategies, an intrinsic knowledge is needed not only of the company, its products and its operation, but also of sustainability and climate change issues. Only by working with both knowledges can a strategy be developed.
COMMUNICATION AND TRAINING:
In GENESIS we are interested in the development of this market and that is why we organize events jointly with major players in the sector such as: Buenos Aires Stock Exchange, Mexican Stock Exchange Group, MexiCO2, The Stock Exchange Initiative of Values, etc.
We advise on agenda content, courses and other training as well as logistical issues.